Saturday, July 17, 2004

New Auction Type for eBay

OK, so here's my new idea for eBay®:



My wife has been selling some items lately, and she says she's having trouble with "snipers" - those bidders that wait until the last few seconds to bid. This means that there never is a bidding war and the price never really goes up.



Instead, what if they had a more traditional auction? I'm calling it the "Going...Going...Gone!" auction. It goes something like this...



After a period of time (a few days), eBay® starts to measure the time between bids. After each bid, the time gets a little shorter - from 24 hours down to a minimum time of around five minutes. Once the time period passes with no bids, the auction closes.



This could simulate the auctioneer calling for more bids and finally banging the gavel. A popular item's auction could go on for a long time (and a higher price).



I'm sure that I'm not the first one to come up with this idea. I wonder if eBay® will ever do something like this.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home