Friday, December 17, 2004

I'm a Stutterer

ME: Hello. My name is Tipp, and I'm a stutterer.

GROUP: Hello, Tipp!

Porky PigI've had a stuttering problem as long as I can remember. It doesn't happen that often, and probably isn't very noticeable, but it is there. Usually happens when I am out of my element, nervous, or in a hurry. It's amazing how getting stuck on a word during conversation can totally (and temporarily) zap my confidence level. I was at a reception the other night where I was having terrible trouble.

Michael Palin as KenSometimes, I can think about a word that I may have trouble saying (such as any female name beginning with a 'J' sound), and I can feel the tightening in my throat. Today, in a meeting, I needed to use the word 'contributor', but I couldn't even think it without feeling that feeling. I quickly switched to an alternate word before starting the sentence.

I am constantly amazed at both the power and mystery of the human mind. How I can't make myself say a word, how once I get caught it is very difficult to continue the word, and how quickly I can switch to a new one.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home